Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spoiled Eggs - Guest Blogger

Meet Collin & Ashlee. I've admired this couple before they were even a couple and I am so excited to turn my blog over to Ashlee today so she can share their story with you. Ashlee impresses and inspires me so much with her fabulous style and unwavering enthusiasm for life despite their struggles with infertility. I long to be more like the both of them to put it frankly. I'm blessed to know them just as you will be as well...

Photobucket

Very few things in life give me as much joy as feeling attractive, having good friends, and the thought of motherhood. I feel like by sharing my story on Whippy Cake I'm killing all 3 of those blissful birds with one stone because who doesn't feel completely adorable when wearing a Glamour Band, who on this earth could be a better friend than Becki, and how much fun will it be to share with you my feelings on motherhood/infertility/adoption?!

In case you're stumped, the answer to those questions are nobody, nobody, and so fun.

Photobucket

So, you may know several fertile Myrtles, I know I do, however I'm here to introduce myself to you as an infertile Girdle. That's right, I said infertile and girdle in the same sentence. But it's true, between my husband and me, the odds of us conceiving children are about as good as the Diamondbacks winning The World Series this season. (In case you haven't been following baseball for the past few months, the D-backs are 64-95 this seasons). Yep, my ovaries laugh at the thought of ovulation, and C's sperm have been on more vacations than Donald Trump. No baby makin' is in our future. And though I am able to light-heartedly joke about it now, it hasn't always been so funny.

Photobucket

We went through a period of mourning, I felt loads of anger for a brief time, and sadness has seemed to creep in at the most inopportune times. Several things have gotten us through the rough patches, but the one I'm here to tell you about is adoption. We explored our every option; Clomid (a hot flash in a bottle), in vitro fertilization, artificial insemination, sperm donors, egg donors, and a bajillion others. Along with considering those, we also immediately considered adoption. My 2 oldest brothers are adopted and I've seen first hand how adopted children can complete a family, so it was always on the plate for us. And after lots of doctor advice, parent advice, thought, and prayer, we decided that adoption was the way to go.

We went to our orientation meeting in early July, and we are officially certified for adoption as of last Wednesday! It was a short, yet some how so long, 3 month process to get certified, but oh so worth it. Being certified, we are now able to adopt a child whenever the time is right, and whenever a birth mother deems us the right fit to raise her child. We are excited about this prospect and we know how big of a miracle adoption is and we are super pumped that we will hopefully get to experience it.

We're so pumped in fact that we even blog about it

as a couple: collandash.blogspot.com
as the wife: collinandashlee.blogspot.com
as Girdle: myspoiledeggs.blogspot.com
and as the hubs: playfulfactory.com

We know that so many of you have been affected by infertility and we know that so many of you have been blessed by adoption. We would love to hear your stories-feel free to stop by our sites and leave us a comment, or shoot us an e-mail. We love hearing from you- there truly is strength in numbers!

Infertility is not an end-all diagnosis. It is rather a door opening experience that provides options and possibilities! We're excited for our possibilities. Stop by myspoiledeggs.blogspot.com to read about our experiences, but even more importantly, to win some free Whippy Cake goodness on my Friday giveaway!

Thanks Becki, for letting me share our story on Whippy Cake!

8 comments:

Kristi @ Lolly Jane said...

Infertility stinks but adoption rocks!

The moment you are handed your new baby, all the pain, suffering and hurt becomes worth it. Very worth it. Parenthood is amazing and you two will be AWEEEEEEEEESOME.

Thanks to Miss Becki for letting you share your story :)

hendywow said...

Hooray for Adoption! We have Adopted 2, and I usually can't remember which 2! We were always a Family:)
Thanks for sharing, you guys are Amazing and Adorable!
-Wendy from Whippy Cake;)

Stephanie McDonnell said...

What an inspiration to my morning. I'm sorry you both have been affected physically, but thank the good Lord He provided you the option your heart's desired.
I think adoption is a fantastic thing. I have two cousins with severe cerebral palsy and as they got older, their mother couldn't physically care for them, nor could she afford the in-house care they needed. As hard as it was, she placed them in foster care so someone could give them what they needed. They're in a wonderful home, getting what they need, and my aunt moved to Oregon to be near her boys.
My best friend also suffers from infertility issues as a result of severe endometriosis. It took two years of trying, but they were blessed with a beautiful little girl. Her and her husbands hearts ache for another baby, but by now her endometriosis is so bad, she can't have anymore children. Please pray for her, as a matter of fact, as she goes into surgrey next week. After years and years of chronic pain suffering, we're hoping this will grant her just an inkling of relief.
My best thoughts and prayers as you and your husband embark on this wonderful journey.
Now, I'm off to hopefully win me some Whippy Cake! Thanks, Becki!

kelliemorgan said...

Awesome story~ All the best to you~

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing! I've known several people that have experienced the same issues with infertility, and I love the fact that you've taken it and made a postive out of it by focusing on the adoption!

The Goldade's said...

How amazing that I stumbled on this today of all days. My hubby and I are also experiencing infertility ups and downs. As I was ready your post I thought I was reading my own mind. There really is a grief cycle that you go through, much like you would the grief cycle of death. I loved the part about Clomid (hot flash in a bottle) because I was on the highest does of Clomid for a year and HAVE NEVER experienced anything so annoying as those crazy hot flashes!! We also headed down the adoption road and were approved in April after completing all our paperwork and attending some workshops. We're still hoping and praying and keeping our fingers crossed everyday...but the burden seems a little lighter now that we're actually headed down a "road" instead of spinning our wheels. Good luch with everything and from one hopeful adoptive gal to another...GOOD LUCK and stay positive!!
Nikki Goldade

Michelle said...

Miss Ashlee, you know I adore you. Great guest post!

Tunes & Spoons said...

Love love love this couple!! Can't wait to see them as parents in action!!! Beautiful headbands by the way!