Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shake The Dust

Grab yourself a refreshing drink this one is a doozy.

I received an email from Michelle at Inspire Magazine asking me if I would like to become a sponsor at a benefit in LA for a cause I had never heard of. My initial reaction was excitement that I had been selected by a magazine to sponsor a celebrity benefit and "how cool am I?". After several emails back and forth to Michelle I gathered more information about the benefit and alas made the commitment to be a sponsor at the event. Since then I have spent much time reading, clicking link after link, and watching videos and I am sincerely proud to become a part of such a valuable event and movement {and shame on me for my initial attitude}.

"To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery."

{THIS} is the story that started the movement and it has been growing ever since, touching thousands upon thousands of lives in the process for the better. To put into perspective just how important this movement is take a look at this fact page.

What really brings it home to me is this poem by Anis Mojgani. I want to memorize this poem for what it means. I love that he is an average guy pouring out his heart and not some plastic man-figure oozing out rhymes of wit and charm. Even more so I love that he mentions all types of people from innocent toddlers, to regretful criminals in his poem because he really illustrates that we are all equal and that not one person is ever too far gone. The perfection of this performance brings me heart ache and happiness at the same time and a longing to do more to help. I hope you watch it!




Here is some more information on the Inspire a Little Love - Benefit for TWLOHA

The benefit will be held at Club 740 in downtown LA from 5 - 9pm on April 16th 2010. Tickets can be purchased {HERE} for $25 and there will be raffles for all kinds of prizes. There will be live performances by BG5, Tyler Shamy and Emily Harder as well as celebrity guest like this super adorable thing...

{Madeline Carroll}

and cute kids like...

{Matt Cohen}

and a whole LOT more {no really, there is a long LIST of celebrity guest}!

As a sponsor Whippy Cake will be behind the scenes dishing out accessories to the celebrities and special guest and then hopefully we will have time to go enjoy the live performances and mingle with people. I can't wait to help out and meet some of the faces behind TWLOHA and help out in my own little way. I plan to design something special for the benefit to help contribute to the movement. I will draw inspiration from my new favorite poem and share my new design {whatever it may be} right here on my blog when it is finished.

I really hope you will find out how YOU can get involved and help with the movement by clicking {HERE} and that if you yourself are looking for help, support or some needed sunshine you will click {HERE}. Promise me you will check it out. Cross your heart!!!



4 comments:

Allison said...

That is so exciting! I'm so excited for your opportunity, and especially for one with such a good cause. :)

ConnieB said...

WOW girl this is amazing! Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures and hear about how it went!

Burgess said...

COOL! That will be so much fun!

Jeni G said...

This is fantastic! Represent girl!